Monday, October 01, 2007

The benevolent one


In the run up to the Ganesh Utsav, the city is full of temporary outlets where idols are being readied for people. A week before the big day, I spent a couple of hours clicking away at half a dozen of these places close to home.

The completed idols are covered with plastic sheets to keep them safe from the elements, and I wasn’t sure how they would react to me rummaging through the places. A lot of them are very small and narrow with hardly space for one person to get in gingerly.

I was surprised as place after place I was welcomed and my request for a few pictures was met with a lot of enthusiasm. Some even offered to move the idols I wanted to shoot out and into the sunlight.

Here’s a picture of one of them painted in bright luminescent shade of red. One of my best pix of the day.

2 comments:

chet 6:34 AM  

Great blog - love the pictures and your take on them - one suggestion - please enable the site feed settings so that I can get an RSS feed and hence find out when you update your blog with new entries - its easy - see the 'how to' info at http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42662

Gunjan Pai 7:54 PM  

heyi browsing thro ur blog - lovely pic this one:)go on writing:)